White Rose – Leeds
Bowman Riley has been working at White Rose in Leeds for the past 12 years providing architectural services to refurbish and extend the shopping centre and improve the overall masterplanning of the site.
White Rose has held a secure position within the Leeds economy for over 20 years housing over 100 stores occupying a 76-acre site on the outskirts of Leeds.
Through constant evaluation of customer and retail trends, White Rose has actively evolved to meet the needs of both tenants and the local population. This ensures White Rose continues to operate as a highly successful commercial venture despite its proximity to the main retail hub of Leeds city centre.
Upper Trading Level Extension
Landsec aspired to increase the food and leisure offer bringing cinema and additional restaurants into White Rose to increase the offer for customers and improve the economic return for tenants.
Alongside feasibility studies for the cinema, we designed a 1,000m² extension at the Upper Trading Level to improve the underused entrance to the shopping centre through the food court.
The new 11m wide mall extension replaced a pedestrian bridge link from the car park into the centre. The new mall provides a large events space, kiosks and seating for three new restaurant units occupied by Prezzo, Handmade Burger Co and Wok & Go.
The facilities along with the new cinema extend the centre’s vibrancy into the evenings and help increase customer dwell time.
- Ongoing feasibilities to redesign and reconfigure units for tenants
- Ongoing feasibility and design work to rejuvenate the public spaces and upgrade WCs
- Secured planning consent for 2,048m² additional retail space and 1,850m² restaurant space.
- Refurbishment of four units on the upper trading level for occupation by Frankie & Benny’s.
- New Costa Coffee
- Refurbishment and reconfiguration units to create a bespoke unit for jeweller, Pandora
- Refurbishment of units to cater for the relocation of Next, River Island and Zara
- Two new units for Smiggle and Tssuti
- Raised the roof level over a 1,262m² retail unit to accommodate the incoming tenant, fashion retailer H&M’s requirement for an increased mezzanine floor height.
- Retail unit amalgamation together with a 368m2 two storey new build extension for WH Smith.
- Two-storey extension and subsequent refurbishment of a unit for JD Sports
- Refurbishment of the on-site bus station car park including two new kiosks and AV timetable display within the mall.
Undertaking projects in a live shopping centre environment led to careful planning and phasing of construction works to minimise disruption to the customer experience and ensure the health and safety of the public.
Images courtesy of White Rose Leeds.